Monday, August 1, 2011

short n' sweet



Today we had to leave work after lunch once again due to the massive amounts of rain. I think today was the hardest, most intense rain I’ve experienced since being here. Carlos says that this much rain is really unusual for July which tends to be much more calm than June, but so far I think it has rained more during this month of my time here than June. I was literally out in the rain, shoveling out trenches on three different sites of the excavation to keep the water from pouring over the walls of our unit. I was wearing my rain jacket, but I was more or less soaked by the end of it; Diego was helping bail out buckets of water from the trenches to keep them from over flooding as it was. Meanwhile, the rest of the crew was sitting pretty under the break tarp sipping coffee and observing us go to town; they must have thought I was crazy to be out in that rain....guess I’m a little overprotective when it comes to my excavations. I couldn’t help thinking about how Tony had reprimanded me for digging the first small trench along the southern edge of the unit because, as he reminded me, these were archaeological sites....mind you, the ‘trench’ was no more than 6 inches down and all of that layer is just crummy pottery that is not important to our project so I went for it haha! What Tony doesn’t know won’t kill him ; ) Have to say it worked quite well.
It worries me a little though, the rain, for my departing flight next Wednesday because I am on the 7:00 flight out of Pereira which usually comes from Bogota or Cartagena earlier in the morning, meaning it doesn’t sleep the night before in Pereira and is more likely to experience delays or issues flying in to Pereira in the morning if the weather is bad. That, and Tony sent me an email with instructions for the transfer in Bogota that were a little nerve racking since the airport there is both under construction and difficult to navigate in the first place, however, I am hoping for the best! What else can I do? 


side note: I am trying to get this as up-to-date as possible, a few more posts are on there way I promise...longer and more exciting posts. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment